Counseling for Anxiety
All humans have anxiety. Some just have so much, that it takes over their lives. I too know anxiety intimately – and also have the experience from the other side.
Untreated anxiety can lead to a life that gets smaller & smaller.
What once caused us fear, begins to generalize to many different areas of our lives. For example, had an extremely frightening experience flying? With untreated anxiety, one person could then begin to avoid all other forms of transportation, including driving. Thus begins this painful loop of living a life to avoid the unwanted sensations of anxiety.
After my years of working with my own anxiety, my professional training, experience, & research – I have come to see that anxiety is often a symptom of other stressors in one’s life or untreated trauma. Often through therapy, a person begins to understand the anxious mind more, decreases their identification with anxiety, & begins to heal on a more holistic level. This is the magic of therapy – that the symptoms that once brought us to treatment begin to decrease while more knowledge of our past, ourselves & our mind begins to increase. This synergy is what creates the fertile ground for an overall healing process.
Often, these are the symptoms of anxiety:
- Nervousness, restlessness, or being tense
- Feelings of danger, panic, or dread
- Rapid breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or heavy sweating
- Trembling or muscle twitching
- Weakness or lethargy
- Difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- Obsessions about certain ideas, are a sign of obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Anxiety surrounding a particular life event or experience that has occurred in the past, is a sign of post-traumatic stress disorder
Therapy can help to uncover the underlying causes of your worries and fears, learn how to relax, look at situations in a new, less frightening way, and develop better coping mechanisms and problem-solving skills.
If you suffer from an anxiety disorder, I invite you to contact me today for a free consultation.